University of Pittsburgh
School of Education
Department of Administrative and Policy Studies
Assistant Professor of Practice (Non-Tenure Stream) Position
Higher Education Management
Position: Assistant Professor of Practice (non-tenure stream)
Appointment: Twelve-month, full-time, non-tenure-stream appointment; starting July 2019
Description: The Department of Administrative and Policy Studies in the School of Education at The University of Pittsburgh seeks a full-time, non-tenure-stream assistant professor of practice to teach, advise, and coordinate for the Higher Education Management (HEM) M.Ed. program in student affairs. The successful candidate will primarily teach and advise students at the master’s level, although they may also teach and advise Ed.D. students and supervise Ed.D. dissertations in practice as needed. The successful candidate will provide service to the Department, School, and University. Finally, we seek a candidate who is committed to equity and justice in education as manifested through research, teaching, and practice.
The University of Pittsburgh is a large public research university with approximately 24,000 undergraduate students and 5,500 graduate students. The Department of Administrative and Policy Studies (ADMPS) is focused on advancing professional knowledge, as well as improving research and practices for educational administrators and policymakers. The department has three programs, higher education management, educational leadership, and social and comparative analysis in education. HEM offers three degrees, including the Master of Education (M.Ed.), the Educational Doctorate (Ed.D.) and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) with an emphasis on higher education, student affairs, leadership, and administration.
1. Earned doctorate in higher education, student affairs, or a closely related field by July 2019;
2. Demonstrated professional work experience in higher education or student affairs;
3. Potential for or demonstrated successful teaching in a higher education setting;
4. Demonstrated excellence or future promise in the advisement and mentoring of master’s students.
1. Experience working in or graduating from a Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) aligned master’s program in student affairs;
2. Significant work experience (6+ years) in higher education or student affairs with demonstrated advancement;
3. Experience or potential for excellence in university-level teaching using technology;
4. Demonstrated track record of student advising, program administration, database management, and presentation software.
1. Teach, advise, and mentor master’s students pursuing careers in student affairs and higher education management;
2. Teach, advise, and mentor scholarly practitioners in the Ed.D. program;
3. Manage all aspects of the Higher Education Management (HEM) M.Ed. program; including student recruitment and internship placement;
4. Contribute to the service mission of the University, School, and Department;
5. Partner with regional, national and international institutions of higher education;
6. Associate with local, state and national higher education leaders and their professional organizations, particularly NASPA and ACPA.
Salary and Rank: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at a rank of Assistant Professor of Practice (non-tenure stream).
Application Process: Review of applications will begin December 1, 2018 and will continue until position is filled.
To apply for this position please upload your letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching and program management philosophy statement, the names and contact information for three academic references and an unofficial transcript at http://www.education.pitt.edu/facultysearch/. If you are unable to upload your documents, please mail materials to: Higher Education Management Search, Office of the Dean, School of Education University of Pittsburgh, 5605 WWPH, Pittsburgh, PA 15260. For questions about the submission process or the position, please email email@example.com or the search committee co-chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org (Dr. Elon Dancy) or email@example.com (Dr. Michael Gunzenhauser).