Professor of Practice
University of San Diego
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Organization Name: Leadership Studies, School of Leadership and Education Sciences
The University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES) is a place for aspiring leaders, for educators who want to make an impact, for those who believe idealism can be channeled into real change, for those who know the value of communication and collaboration. SOLES is a place where academics inform action, where global perspective is put into practice, where hands-on learning leads to a lifetime of impact.
Detailed Position Description:
The Department of Leadership Studies at USD's School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES) is looking for a Professor of Practice for a three-year appointment beginning with the 2018-19 academic year to teach and advise master's level and PhD students in the area of leadership. Leadership is a multi-disciplinary field; thus we are interested in candidates who have knowledge, experience and demonstrated ability to teach leadership-related courses in one or more of the following areas: higher education, for-profit, nonprofit, the military, organizational consulting and/or K-12 education. The Professor of Practice would provide experience and expertise in bridging the academic and practice areas. Candidates should have a doctoral degree in educational leadership, sociology, psychology, business or other related fields. This position is a non-tenure contracted position, but the individual would be eligible to apply to any tenure-line positions that may be open in a future search, as well as possibly extend this contracted position.
Specific responsibilities to include:
- Teaching: Teaching Load: 3 courses in one term and 4 in another (Fall & Spring). Preference for applicants with the expertise to teach at least some of the following courses: Foundations of Executive Coaching, Surveys of Leadership Theory, Leadership and Ethics, Organizational Theory and Change, Applied Leadership Practices, Race Gender and Ethnicity in HE, History, Theories and Philosophies of HE, Higher Ed Policy, Higher Ed Administration, K-12 Educational Leadership, Sociology of Education for School Leaders.
- Advising. Serve on dissertation committees as well as provide academic and professional guidance.
- Service: Attend department meetings
- Scholarship. Scholarly activity is encouraged but is not required.
Required: Ph.D. or Ed.D.
Candidates should be able to:
- Provide evidence-based leadership practices and illustrate a commitment to departmental priorities including social justice, diversity and inclusion. Candidates should describe how they bring diversity and inclusion into their teaching, advising, and scholarly work;
- Demonstrate both knowledge and practical expertise in leadership;
- Show evidence of teaching experience at the graduate level with excellent evaluations from students and peers;
- Demonstrate interest and an emerging expertise with advising Masters and PhD students in scholarly research and career pathways.
Persons offered employment must successfully complete a pre-employment background check.
They also will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three-year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree
How To Apply: To apply, go to https://usdebsprod.sandiego.edu
, search for IRC28078 and apply as an applicant.
Applications should be complete by June 15, 2018.
Applications should include a letter of interest and a curriculum vitae
Contact: Emma Mackey, Executive Assistant, Department of Leadership Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Phone #: 619-260-4637