You Belong at a University that’s Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The University of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and believe in inclusion. Working for Florida Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
As a 4-H Extension Agent and County Extension Director (CED), you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension in the Northwest Extension District and Okaloosa County, a growing area in the Florida panhandle. We are looking for an individual that is a self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented leader. Your extension programming will cover Volunteer and Youth development and Extension Leadership.
As the CED/4-H agent, you will lead, manage, supervise, coordinate, and report on the total Okaloosa County extension program (five County Extension Faculty including yourself). You will demonstrate excellent customer service and you will respond to client needs in a timely and professional manner. Your office will be located at the Okaloosa County Extension Office in Crestview Florida.
What you will do:
- Maintain, foster, and build effective working relationships with county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, other government agencies, the general public, and UF/IFAS faculty, staff, and extension administration.
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate county faculty, program assistants, and staff with programs in agriculture, commercial and residential horticulture, family and consumer sciences, natural resources and Sea Grant, 4-H youth development, and community development and sustainability.
- Manage the business side of the Extension Office, including financial and compliance issues.
- Work in the role of an Educational first responder for county and university functions during natural disasters.
- Develop and follow a strategic plan focused on marketing Extension’s success.
- Maintain an overall advisory committee that reflects county demographics and effectively advocates for Cooperative Extension within the community.
- Plan, develop, teach, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive and diverse volunteer and youth development educational program that meets the needs of the diverse population in Okaloosa County and the Northwest Extension District.
- Work to increase the use of virtual program delivery and social media use to a minimum of 25% of program delivery.
- Use resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to strengthen current educational programs while working with the Northwest District 4-H Regional Specialized Agent and the Northwest Program Initiative Team.
- Determine program responsibilities locally through needs assessments.
- Maintain an effective program advisory committee with appropriate community representation.
- Use computer technology and social media for communication, teaching, and program management.
- Seek and obtain financial resources to support your extension programs and the Okaloosa extension office as CED.
- Adhere to all University of Florida and Okaloosa County government policies and procedures and provide leadership for management of all program components.
- Write an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment.
- Occasionally assume other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program as assigned by the District Extension Director.
Faculty in the Okaloosa County Extension Office with CED qualifications are eligible to apply.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background screening.
Okaloosa County is located in the northwestern portion of the U.S. state of Florida, extending from the Gulf of Mexico to the Alabama state line. As of the 2020 census, the population was 211,668. Its county seat is Crestview. Okaloosa County is included in the Crestview-Fort Walton Beach-Destin, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date.