Search for University Jobs in Curriculum & Education
EH&S Trainer & Instructional Design Specialist (4163U), Environment, Health & Safety 29446
University of California, Berkeley
EH&S Trainer & Instructional Design Specialist (4163U), Environment, Health & Safety 29446
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of Environment, Health & Safety's (EH&S) mission is to provide guidance and services to the campus community that promote health, safety, and environmental stewardship.
EH&S is a highly dynamic, fast paced, committed organization focused on promoting workplace safety and environmental protection for the campus community. We are comprised of many scientific, technical, and administrative professionals, working in an evolving, learning, and sometimes challenging environment with a unified goal of supporting the University's mission of teaching, research and public service. EH&S strives to be an inclusive, service oriented, and operationally excellent organization and is seeking highly motivated individuals who want to learn, be creative, seek continuous competency development, and contribute to our mission.
The EH&S Trainer & Instructional Design Specialist designs, instructs and supports supervisory, management, technical and non-technical training efforts for campus safety programs. Incumbent works with EH&S subject matter experts and business units to determine training needs and develops appropriate training programs, technology and learning approaches.
For more information, visit http://ehs.berkeley.edu
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 16, 2022
- Applies professional training, development skills and instructional design concepts to resolve and address a wide range of training issues and needs assessments.
- Demonstrates judgment in selecting methods and techniques for delivering training. Consults with subject matter experts (SMEs) at EH&S and partner organizations to determine methods for delivery of course content and effective use of technology, working with SMEs to determine online, in-person or hybrid training.
- Works with SMEs to gather specifications for training content.
- As needed and appropriate to subject matter, provides in-person training to campus employees, departments, groups and teams, in tandem with SMEs or independently.
- Coaches SMEs on training techniques, and coordinates in-person training logistics, i.e. scheduling, reserving classrooms, producing materials, and obtaining/providing equipment as needed. Provides support to improve teaching and learning outcomes.
- Develops new training programs and courses in response to organization's training needs. Designs and conducts more complex training programs to address issues of diverse scope that are aligned with organization strategies
- Applies project and program management practices.
- Conducts appropriate job and task analyses in the context of specialized needs analysis and evaluates effectiveness of training programs.
- Creates and oversees the production of course content according to an established schedule.
- Adapts system-wide or other training to the specific needs of the UC Berkeley community.
- May provide support for testing content and tools to meet ADA requirements, research and document copyright for embedded media and other non-SME-created content.
- Deploys content on learning management platforms. Develops, reviews, updates and maintains EH&S content in the Learning Management System (LMS) and facilitates LMS access to all students, staff and faculty.
- In a diverse environment and at all levels in the organization, works in a collaborative manner to prioritize work assignments, conduct analysis and develop recommendations.
- Collaborates with training team members, EH&S SMEs, representatives from partner organizations and UC system-wide groups to advance training compliance.
- Conducts ongoing needs analysis and evaluates effectiveness of training programs, which includes producing reports of training results and maintaining training attendance records.
- Creates completion and exception reports for campus clients in an effort to maximize compliance.
- Staff development: Works on professional committees and assignments, participates in professional training and attends relevant conferences, and/or is mentored or coached on a formal or informal basis.
- At the request of campus management (EH&S Director, VC Administration/Research, UCPD Chief, or designated alternate), serve in a designate role within the EH&S Emergency Support Function and be on call to the campus Emergency Operations Center in a campus designated disaster or campus hazardous material release/threatened release. Provide appropriate emergency response role based upon expertise and, where applicable, designated departmental role.
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understands how work may impact other areas, including how work within one training program may impact another.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles and learning strategies, including needs analysis, backwards design, learning outcomes and assessment design, and instructional approaches to safety training and associated projects.
- Strong analytical, verbal, written and interpersonal communication and collaboration skills, and strong presentation skills.
- Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, including policies that impact online course development.
- Thorough knowledge of delivering training programs and knowledge of current training programs and trends.
- Strong skills to conduct needs assessment and development of new training courses to meet organizational needs.
- Thorough knowledge and skills with relevant business software systems; i.e., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Strong skills in planning, resourcing and monitoring effective delivery of training.
- Thorough knowledge of applying adult learning theories and education methodologies.
- Knowledge to conduct appropriate job and task analyses in the context of instructional design of technical or specialized training.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Certificate in instructional design or equivalent.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $62,300.00-$92,500.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This appointment is eligible for up to 50% remote work.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29446&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |