The Department of Middle and High School Education invites applications for a Mathematics Education tenure-track assistant or associate professorship beginning Fall 2020. Candidates must have an active record of research/scholarship/creative works and a strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The primary responsibilities of the position are to:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in mathematics education (with opportunities to teach mathematics courses)
- Work with the Mathematics Department to coordinate course offerings
- Participate in STEM initiatives and grant opportunities and programs
- Supervise teacher candidates in mathematics education
- Advise undergraduate and graduate candidates in mathematics education
- Engage in scholarly research
- Engage in interdisciplinary, intersectional and collaborative initiatives
- Collaborate across departments and foster school/college partnerships
- Engage with partnership professional development schools
- Participate in curriculum revision/development
- Advise students majoring in mathematics and secondary education
- Assist in efforts to recruit and retain mathematics and secondary education students
- Coordinate mathematics education program
- Coordinate and prepare program accreditation reports
- Actively participate in meetings of appropriate professional organizations such as AMTE, NCTM, and PME.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in mathematics education; engage in a scholarly research agenda related to mathematics education; advise students; and provide service to the department, college, university, and community, i.e., committee, administrative, supervisory, and other assignments normally associated with a full-time tenure-track academic appointment. Additionally, weekend or evening teaching may be required.
The Lehman College campus is located in Bronx, New York and is a Senior College within the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Lehman is CUNY’s only senior college in the Bronx and is recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institution. The college serves mainly undergraduate students preparing them for employment, the professions and further study. The teaching load is 18 hours per year and although the college is predominantly teaching focused, faculty at Lehman are active in research, scholarship and creative works. Service to the college, university and community is part of the mission as is a clear commitment to student engagement including advisement. Teaching is reduced for junior faculty over the first five years for scholarly development and all faculty are actively encouraged to seek external funding. Opportunities are available for faculty development and travel awards. Lehman College and CUNY internal funding is available through competitive grants for scholarship support.
Ph.D/Ed.D. or terminal degree in Math Education or a related academic field is required on commencement of the appointment. Also required is the ability to teach successfully, demonstrate scholarship or achievement, and cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
Applicants should have:
- Ability to work with the professional community
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Potential for research and grant writing;
- Familiarity with standards-based curriculum and performance-based teacher education assessments; and strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Prior mathematic teaching experience in secondary settings, especially in middle school
- Prior teaching experience in college level settings
- Experience with computer science education or special education or bilingual/TESOL Education
- Record of publications, presentations, participation in professional organizations
- Evidence of successful external funding, including development and management of grant-funded projects
- Evidence of strong research, teaching and administrative skill sets
- Master’s degree or equivalent coursework in mathematics
Salaries are commensurate with education and experience and subject to the Professional Staff Congress-CUNY salary schedule: http://www.psc-cuny.org/contract/psc-cuny-contract-salaryschedule
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and
search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested
Candidates must upload a C.V., a cover letter, a writing sample, evidence of teaching excellence, and the names of three professional references (with title, organization, and contact information). Candidates must arrange to have three (3) letters of reference submitted to the search chair, email@example.com, as part of the application. The Job #ID should be included in the letter. Note that an application will not be considered complete without the three (3) letters of reference.