University of Pittsburgh
School of Education
Department of Education, Foundations, Organizations, and Policy (EFOP)
Assistant or Associate Professor of Practice Position
Position: Assistant or Associate Professor of Practice with a focus on Community Engagement and Scholarship (12-month appointment)
Appointment: Twelve-month, full-time, appointment-stream; starting July 2023
Description: The Department of Educational Foundations, Organizations, and Policy invites applications for an assistant or associate professor of practice faculty position from outstanding candidates with expertise in community engagement, research-practice partnerships, and/or research-policy partnerships that foster equitable and culturally sustainable P-20 education. We seek a scholar-practitioner who employs collaborative interdisciplinary and critical approaches with faculty colleagues in teaching, community engagement praxis, and scholarship to examine and alter power relations in the reproduction of racial, class, gender, placed-based, and other inequities in educational and/or educational policy contexts.
The new colleague’s primary responsibilities will be focused on community-engaged practice, policy, and scholarship; teaching; university, department, and program service; and support/mentoring of graduate student. Working closely with Educational Policy or Urban Education faculty, this professor of practice will:
- Develop, expand, and sustain experiential learning partnerships, research-practice partnerships, and/or research-policy partnerships across the education sector (e.g., P-12 education, higher education, out-of-school learning);
- Support community-engaged scholarship, coursework, and student experiences (e.g., creating community-engaged experiences for students and advising/supervising students involved with these experiences);
- Engage in scholarship and research that has the goal of impacting practice and/or policy
- Coordinate or support coordination of graduate and certificate programs that seek to prepare students as community-engaged practitioner-scholars;
- Advise and mentor graduate students; and
- Contribute to the service mission of the University, School, and Department.
The Department of Educational Foundations, Organizations, and Policy has 18 tenured or tenure-line faculty, two professors of practice, and two visiting faculty. The Department includes three graduate programs: Educational Policy (recently revised and formerly Social and Comparative Analysis of Education), Urban Education, and Higher Education. While this new colleague will work with faculty, students, and staff across the Department, they will be affiliated with the Educational Policy or Urban Education programs depending on their expertise.
The candidate would join a vibrant community in the School of Education, at a time of great excitement, synergy, momentum, and action, particularly in relation to our explicit commitment to equity and justice in education. As a School, we are committed to determining sustainable ways to disrupt and transform long-standing patterns of inequity and injustice in education. We value collaborative work that is not constrained by rigid boundaries, but that is committed to the interconnections of equity and justice among departments, centers, and institutes in the School of Education and with the many partners at the university, and in various regional, national, and global communities. The School’s mission/vision can be found at the following link: https://www.education.pitt.edu/about/equity-and-justice.
- Earned a doctorate in education or related field by July 1, 2023;
- Demonstrated connection to program area(s) (e.g., urban education, education policy, research and evaluation, higher education, comparative/international education);
- Demonstrated professional work experience in community engagement, research-practice partnerships, and/or research-policy partnerships;
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategic partnerships in communities, P-20 educational settings, or out-of-school learning settings;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and justice;
- Potential for or demonstrated successful teaching in higher education; and
- Potential for or demonstrated successful mentoring and advising of students at the graduate level.
- Experience in graduate program, certification program, and micro-credentialing program development or coordination;
- Demonstrated record of community engagement, research-practice partnership, and/or research-policy partnership scholarship; and
- Experience in working with communities to change policy and/or practice on the local, state, and/or national levels.
Salary & Rank: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at a rank of Assistant/Associate Professor Practice (appointment stream).
Application Process: Review of applications will begin December 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. To apply for this position please submit your letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for references (if applying at the Assistant Professor of Practice level, then at least three references are needed; if applying at the Associate Professor of Practice level, then at least six references are needed. Please note that references will only be contacted and asked to submit a letter if the candidate is a finalist for the position). Submit your materials to https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=22008480&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York. For questions about the submission process email email@example.com and for questions about the position, Department, or School of Education, email the search committee co-chairs, Dr. Darris Means (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Jill Perry (email@example.com).
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity. Women and members of historically underrepresented groups, including womyn, are especially encouraged to apply.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled