Digital Media Specialist (6077U) 5806
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 02/22/2020
Digital Learning Services (DLS) is a unit within Research, Teaching and Learning that provides design, production, delivery and digital environment and tools services for online, hybrid/blended, and traditional courses at UC Berkeley. As members of the Berkeley community, who care deeply about serving the university, we blend our expertise in online learning with the broader strategic plan and institutional goals and values. For more information about Digital Learning services (DLS) visit our website
and explore Who We Are, What We Do and our Portfolio.
Open Minded approach to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Research, Teaching, and Learning believes in and fosters a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, support and amplify the campus principles:
- We champion diversity.
- We act with integrity.
- We deliver.
- We innovate.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
The Digital Media Specialist produces, records, and edits audio/video/multimedia that resides in Berkeley's online and blended learning courses, distributed through our Learning Management System, and provides students with lecture segments and learning resources in support of learning objectives/goals. Additionally, the Digital Media Specialist consults and trains faculty with pre, post and production in support of DIY media projects completed in our DIY studios and remotely at faculty homes and offices.
In this role, the Digital Media Specialist will collaborate with Faculty (on their audio, video, and multimedia digital course content) as well as Media Team members, Instructional Designers, and Manager within the Instructional Design and Media team at Digital Learning Services. While hard skills in pre, post and production are the what, soft skills including a growth mindset and positive outlook, diplomacy, and genuine desire and ability to collaborate and work well with others - both clients and colleagues - are the how and essential to successful work.
- Produce and collaborate on the production of digital media in all phases (pre-production, production, and post-production) including script writing, storyboarding, graphic treatments, directing, technical lighting, visual composition and video, audio and motion editing.
- Produce content for online and blended Berkeley courses in collaboration with instructional designers and instructors or other subject matter experts.
- Assess daily the design, development, and production needs of assigned portfolios, projects and courses.
- Set short-term design, development, and production support tasks, goals and objectives and execute on them.
- Track and report accurate and timely status of media production work.
- Provide expertise, coaching and support to faculty and instructional teams during the digital learning media production process - both formal online/hybrid course production and faculty's DIY production for on-ground courses.
- Provide hardware and software set up for faculty to create DIY media.
- Produce, edit, and review digital media and content with a high-level of detail and accuracy and adherence to Digital Learning Services (DLS) processes.
- Consult with supervisor and other professionals to ensure that digital learning media content meets campus needs and effectively delivers the desired learning outcome opportunities.
- Maintain currency with visual design, typography, and composition skills to interpret written concepts and transform them into compelling visuals.
- Assist in envisioning and implementation of efficiency-enhancing workflows for course media production.
- Ensure proper publication, storage, and retention of all produced media artifacts.
- Solid creative collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated pre-production skills.
- Solid audio and video production skills, including sound, lighting, camera operation, and videography.
- Demonstrated post-production skills in applications for media production including Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
- Demonstrated experience in at least 1 of these 2 areas: motion graphics and graphic design.
- Solid understanding of the principles of visual design.
- Ability to monitor and assess processes or services and make necessary improvements.
- Solid project management skills to complete projects within budget and time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize while effectively executing multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills and collaboration skills, including active listening skills and skills to work effectively within teams, political acumen and skill in troubleshooting and applying proactive and positive solutions.
- Exceptional customer/client focus.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Advanced skills and experience in Pre, Post and Production and visual design
- Demonstrated experience in both motion graphics and graphic design principles
- Demonstrated experience creating original art
- Experience developing video and multimedia content for educational programs and online distribution.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
1. Submit with your application a portfolio of your work noting your role in each clip or sample you share.
2. Please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio as a single attachment when applying
All applicants must submit a portfolio of their work with application noting their role in each clip or sample shared.
This is a 100% FTE, 1 year contract appointment with an option for renewal.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5806&PostingSeq=1