The Social Studies Program in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Purdue University seeks applications for an Assistant Professor of P-12 Social Studies Education. The successful candidate will teach social studies methods courses and engage in activities within the College of Education, across the university, and in P-12 partner schools.
This position is a 9-month academic year, clinical track position with a 3-3 teaching load. Reappointments occur in 3-year contractual terms. Clinical appointments are non-tenure track but with the potential for promotion in rank. The position also includes the possibility of summer employment.
- Teach three courses each fall and spring semester
- Structure, coordinate, and teach elementary and/or secondary social studies methods courses that are inquiry-based and include experiential/field components
- Teach graduate level courses
- Advise graduate students
- Engage in activities within the College of Education, across the university, and in P-12 schools
- Collaborate on program assessment and accreditation activities
- Participate in program, department, college, and university committees
This position requires an on-campus, face-to-face presence.
- Earned doctorate in Social Studies Education or closely related field, with an active record of teaching and service commensurate with experience
- Experience collaborating across P-12 disciplines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Minimum of 3 years of P-12 classroom teaching experience
- Elementary school social studies or social studies methods teaching experience
- Record of leadership, experience, and professional involvement
- Experience teaching in a teacher education program
- Experience mentoring graduate students
August 12, 2024
Inquiries about this position may be directed to: Dr. Chrystal Johnson (email@example.com)
Review of applications will begin on October 31, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must include:
- A cover letter outlining qualifications and experience
- A current curriculum vitae
- 2-page (maximum) narrative describing the applicant’s teaching philosophy
- A writing sample (e.g. published article, conference proceedings, book chapter, etc.)
- Three letters of recommendation
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATION PROGRAM AREA
The Social Studies Education program area within the Department of Curriculum and Instruction contributes to Purdue’s priorities in discovery, learning, and engagement within the College of Education. The program offers prospective researchers/scholars, teacher educators, and K-12 educators the opportunity to investigate contemporary issues in social studies education research and theory as well as pedagogical methods related to social studies learning, teaching, assessment, and curriculum. Faculty members are committed to creating and disseminating knowledge relevant to the discipline of social studies education, preparing scholars, educators, and leaders in social studies education on the local, national, and international levels; and promoting access to social studies for all learners. https://education.purdue.edu/undergraduate-students/prospective-students/majors/social-studies-education/
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
The College of Education aspires to be a collaborative community. We are innovators discovering new ideas and solutions that will foster a positive global impact for faculty, staff, students, and community. Successful candidates will promote inclusive excellence and encourage freedom of thought and speech.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY, the COLLEGE OF EDUCATION and DEPARTMENT OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION are committed to free and open inquiry in all matters. Candidates are encouraged to address in their cover letters how they are prepared to contribute to a climate that values free inquiry and academic freedom.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY is a leading land grant and research university and ranks among the 15 largest universities in the nation. The university has an enrollment of more than 50,884 on the West Lafayette campus and more than 24,000 on regional campuses across Indiana. It is located in West Lafayette, IN, one hour northwest of Indianapolis and two hours southeast of Chicago.