Search for University Jobs in Curriculum & Education
Associate Director, Center for Excellence in Teaching
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
Simmons University is looking for an Associate Director to join the Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET). Reporting to the Director, the Associate Director plays an integral role in designing, planning and facilitating professional development programs for faculty. From confidentially observing classes to meeting one-on-one with faculty to consult on their teaching, the Associate Director will serve as a resource for sharing best practices in teaching.
Founded in 2012, the Center for Excellence in Teaching provides a wide array of programs and services to support Simmons's long-standing dedication to excellence in teaching. CET collaborates with and provides structured support for faculty and staff across Simmons to design engaging and effective courses and curricula; apply innovative, evidence-based teaching practices; and build collaborative, inclusive, and equitable learning communities. CET staff design programs and services to build a teaching community across disciplines, facilitate the sharing of ideas and resources, encourage collaboration, and provide a space for innovation and experimentation.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop new knowledge and skills as needed to navigate changing faculty needs. We are looking for candidates who demonstrate passion and enthusiasm for supporting faculty in improving the quality of teaching across disciplines.
- Design and facilitate a wide range of professional development programs for on-ground faculty in a variety of formats, including workshops, seminar-style discussions, and presentations;
- Model best practices of teaching, including applying backward design, learning theory, and innovative, learner-centered pedagogy, basing work in best practices and research in the field;
- Collaborate with internal and external partners in workshop design and delivery;
- Research and develop resources and workshop materials related to assigned programs and that support areas of responsibility and upcoming initiatives;
- Conduct classroom observations and individual consultations with faculty about their teaching as assigned by the Director, and follow up with additional consultations or resources as needed;
- Lead and assist with small group individual diagnosis (SGID) with students;
- Adhere to CET's confidentiality policies, providing a supportive service for faculty seeking to improve their practice;
- Develop online and blended programs and resources for on-ground Simmons faculty related to teaching, learning, and other topics, as assigned by the Director;
- Model the creative and effective integration of technology tools to support teaching and learning, incorporating best practices in program and instructional design;
- Continuously develop and maintain expertise related to college teaching and learning, including attending professional development, keeping up-to-date on literature, engaging in environmental scanning, and actively participating in the faculty development field;
- Develop one or more areas of expertise related to college teaching and learning, developing and presenting programs related to this area of expertise for on-campus and off-campus groups;
- Serve on Academic Technology Committee as a CET representative;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Doctoral degree in Education or an ABD in Education/PhD in a related field plus extensive teaching experience at the college level plus knowledge of, and experience in college pedagogy, learning theory, and/or faculty development;
- Minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience, including experience teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level;
- Strong understanding of best practices in college teaching and/or faculty development;
- Strong interpersonal skills, empathy, and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Adaptability and willingness/ability to learn and apply new skills and areas of expertise quickly;
- Strong attention to detail, time management, and prioritization skills;
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal;
- Proven ability to successfully work with individuals across a broad spectrum of professional, social and personal identities;
- Ability to travel to conferences as needed;
- Ability to incorporate and a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Previous experience designing college courses or designing and facilitating professional development workshops, seminars, and presentations;
- Previous experience with designing online learning experiences, instructional design, and/or application of technology to teaching;
- Experience with the Microsoft office suite;
- Valid U.S. driver's license.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV.
Review of applications will begin on May 15, 2019
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Associate-Director--Center-for-Excellence-in-Teaching_R05824
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |