Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Science, Technology and/or Mathematics Education
College of Education, Health and Human Development – Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora
School of Teacher Education – Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako
- Full-time at 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
- Continuing (i.e. permanent) position
The University of Canterbury has a vision of people prepared to make a difference: tangata tū, tangata ora
What You Will Do
Our School of Teacher Education staff are looking for two new colleagues in Science, Technology, and/or Mathematics Education. The two roles will be appointed at the rank of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor depending on the applicants experience. The positions will focus on initial teacher education (bachelors degree and graduate diploma programmes) with opportunities to contribute to teaching and supervision in Masters in Education, Education Doctorate, and PhD qualifications.
Who You Are
Applicants will need to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Applicants should hold a doctoral degree. Consideration may be given to applicants who are very near the completion of a doctoral degree.
- The ability to both develop and lead undergraduate and postgraduate courses in initial teacher education in their area(s) of expertise and on education-wide issues.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a commitment to culturally responsive and collaborative teaching, as this is a strong part of the ethos in the School of Teacher Education.
- A developing record of research success, including externally funded research grants appropriate to the level of appointment is expected.
- Applicants at the senior lecturer and associate professor levels should have a record of supervision of Masters and/or Doctoral students.
- Experience teaching or conducting research across disciplines would be an advantage.
- Teacher Registration (or the ability to gain registration in NZ) and recent classroom experience would be a strong asset. We will consider applicants from early childhood, primary, and secondary sectors.
Who You Will Work With
You will be located in Rehua in the heart of our Ilam campus. Established in 2019, Rehua is the central hub for education, entrepreneurship and executive development, where students from all disciplines are supported in their studies and their professional and personal growth. Also, in 2019 we will mark the opening of new purpose-built teaching and laboratory facilities for Science and Technology in the Beatrice Tinsley building.
The School of Teacher Education has a world class staff with specializations across a variety of disciplines and theoretical areas. You will have the opportunity to work alongside members of a diverse academic community, work within a robust school and early childhood partnership network, and enrich your own professional and personal development with university and college support.
The University of Canterbury is committed to promoting a world-class learning environment through research and teaching excellence, and has a vision statement of "People Prepared to Make a Difference". You will have the opportunity to work alongside members of a diverse academic community and enrich your own professional and personal development.
For information about the range of fantastic benefits that UC offers including flexible work practices, study opportunities and generous superannuation and leave provisions, please visit us: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/joinus
View the full Position Descriptions
Lecturer – https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/638172_jobdesc.pdf
SeniorLecturer – https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/638172_other.pdf
AssociateProfessor – https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/637935_other.pdf
The closing date for this position is: Sunday, 20th October 2019 (midnight, NZ time)
How You Apply
Applications for this position are submitted online and should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae which includes a list of relevant research publications and a 2-3 page statement outlining the research interests and goals. Please ensure your application is uploaded as a single PDF or Word file.
Unfortunately we do not accept applications by email, however we are happy to answer your queries in relation to the application process, please forward these to WorkatUC@canterbury.ac.nz