Senior Experiential Learning Designer (6147U), Haas School of Business 8542
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 4, 2020
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all.
Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
Haas Digital's mission is to enrich and expand the reach of Berkeley Haas' world-class learning experience with innovative pedagogy and educational technology. Our team's professionals have a wide range of pedagogy and learning technology expertise. We develop a variety of fully online and hybrid offerings for the Haas School and Executive Education.
- Applies advanced professional instructional design and technology skills to create highly complex online course designs, map learning objectives / outcomes to create performance data, apply programming knowledge or use technical tools to enable delivery of user behavior data related to interactive learning activities.
- Consults with faculty and staff on the effective use of instructional design strategies, web-based resources, multimedia technologies and instructional software and systems to determine methods for delivery of course content and advocates technology tools and creative processes that advances student engagement and academic learning.
- Creates multimedia content, including interactive learning activities, video or audio components. Establishes detailed schedules for individual or multiple courses within a program, and oversees production. Ensures that content is developed according to ADA standards.
- Works in collaboration with the junior instructional designer to apply advanced professional instructional design and technology skills to create highly complex online course designs, map learning objectives/outcomes to create performance data and select appropriate technologies and tools to grow the portfolio of online offerings by Haas Digital and its organizational partners.
- Solves complex content or delivery related issues through application of technology tools and approaches, and produces production processes. Makes recommendations as appropriate on different softwares and tools that will enhance the learner experience.
- Actively seeks out knowledge of new and emerging learning technologies.
- Career Development: By embracing the principle of student always:
- Attend classes to enhance expertise in job areas and improve communication.
- Attend relevant campus training courses or classes to gain knowledge of or to become more proficient with campus policies and/or role relevant skills.
- Seek additional training opportunities that allow growth within the position and to develop professionally.
- Advanced ability to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced analytical, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Advanced knowledge of organization policies and procedures, including policies that impact online course development.
- Advanced knowledge of instructional design principles and learning strategies, including needs analysis, backwards design, learning outcomes and assessment design, and instructional approaches including lecture, discussion, activities, projects, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of the technical tools and platforms required to achieve the delivery of engaging and media-rich online learning content, and of trends in the use and effectiveness of educational technology and learning.
- Solid understanding of learning science principles, instructional design methodologies, approaches for evaluation and assessment, and current trends in teaching.
- The ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, as well as problem-solving, juggling multiple priorities, and working within set timeframes.
- Experience and demonstrated history of working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Advanced knowledge of Python.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or data science related field and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Advanced understanding of business strategies and market priorities related to online learning and achievement of organizational goals.
- Advanced knowledge and skills with relevant business software systems and content creation tools.
- Advanced knowledge of applying adult learning theories and education methodologies in creative ways.
- Advanced knowledge of e-learning strategies including but not limited to courses (e.g., processes and technologies,etc.).
- Expert level skills in application of planning, resourcing and monitoring of effective design life cycles of training and other learning and performance solutions to support the organization.
- Thorough knowledge to conduct appropriate job and task analyses in the context of instructional design of technical or specialized training.
- Thorough knowledge of HTML/CSS and other basic client side Web authoring skills and video production for the web.
- Advanced experience designing and adapting content for a variety of e-leaming and web-based applications.
- Willing and able to provide occasional on-call, night, and weekend support.
- Ability to provide a portfolio demonstrating related experience, upon request.
- Graphic design experience for web and/or print media.
- React/Redux experience.
- Master's Degree, PhD, or other terminal doctorate and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience up to $110,800.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8542&PostingSeq=1