The Department of Learning and Instruction
in the Graduate School of Education and the Department of Mathematics
in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University at Buffalo, SUNY invite applications for a joint Assistant/Associate Professor
tenure-track/tenure eligible position in Mathematics Education. While primary appointment will be in the Department of Learning and Instruction, the candidate who takes the position will provide instructional support in the Department of Mathematics. Both departments have long histories of research excellence and strong traditions of teaching and community engagement. Faculty demonstrate a commitment to creating a collegial academic environment characterized by equity, social justice, interdisciplinary collaboration, and an ethic of care across all of their programs.
We seek candidates who are committed to engaging in scholarship that directly addresses existing and emerging problems of practice in the teaching and learning of mathematics and/or mathematics teacher preparation, including impacts of AI for math education.
Candidates for this position should be experts in mathematics education and have a strong background in mathematics. In particular, we seek candidates with broad awareness of K-12 mathematics education trends and expertise in:
- mathematics content knowledge for teaching (including the teaching and learning of advanced topics such as calculus, precalculus, statistics & data science, probability, linear algebra, college algebra, geometry, or proof);
- the preparation of K-12 mathematics teachers for diverse contexts and/or
- the design and development of innovative, equitable mathematics curriculum and learning technologies (including AI in mathematics assessment and instruction).
- Maintain active research agenda in mathematics education commensurate with rank at a research 1 University
- Seek external funding
- Teach a total of four courses each year, two within the Department of Learning and Instructions and two within the Department of Mathematics.
- Advise masters and PhD students
- Participate in professional activities and serve on department, school, and university committees
Appointments are for a ten-month academic year beginning in the Fall 2024. For full consideration, please submit your materials by October 15, 2023. The position will remain open until filled.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.