Visiting Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leading
Appointment: eight-month, full-time, appointment-stream; starting Fall 2021
The newly formed Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leading in the University of Pittsburgh School of Education seeks two visiting faculty members who will join us in radically imagining educational leadership and teacher education. Specifically, we seek two scholars of Black educational and leadership traditions whose scholarly work, engagements, and educational praxis will help shape our vision, organization, and practice. We are especially interested in scholars whose work may reside in Black Feminist, Black Radical, or other Black knowledge traditions.
These two positions align closely with the School of Education’s mission-vision and strategic goals and priorities, which lay out our "commitment to equity, justice, and innovation," and emphasize the School’s cultural drivers, which include: Educational equity and justice; High-quality research and engaged partnerships; Innovation and interdisciplinarity. In these collaboratively designed positions, visiting faculty members will engage with the Department and the School, including the Center for Urban Education, where transformative teaching and leadership initiatives and study are underway.
We welcome applications from faculty at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or Full who wish to join us for one academic year with a possibility of extension based on available budget and mutual agreement during which they will work with one another and our leadership and teacher ed program faculty and students to: (1) help structure and guide a radical imagining and mapping of educational leadership and teacher education; (2) teaching (type and load established in coordination with department chair) as part of the department’s Freedom Studies initiative; and (3) engage in collaborative scholarly work.
- Earned doctorate with scholarly training in Black educational traditions and/or relevant theoretical traditions in the disciplines or fields
- Experience in teacher education and/or educational leadership, broadly conceived
- Experience teaching relevant curricula
- Experience working with students
Interested applicants should submit:
- Current CV
- Names and contact information for three references
- Letter of interest
- A one-page maximum, single-spaced proposal for scholarly project(s) to be undertaken and the model for collaboration. For example, one might propose a book project and suggest a colloquium as the point of collaboration at the School; or, one might propose a series of inter-related articles and an undergraduate and/or graduate student seminar. We encourage a creative, ambitious, and focused proposal.
- One scholarly writing sample
Please submit your materials to: https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl…0&tzname=America%2FNew_York
Review of applications will begin March 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
For assistance with submission questions, please contact Megan Brennan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the position, please contact Search Co-Chairs, Dr. Linda Kucan, (email@example.com) or Dr. Emily Rainey (firstname.lastname@example.org).