The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university anchored in Africa and intent on global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and multiple partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
The Department of Science and Technology Education is one of five departments in the Faculty of Education at UJ. It is a dynamic and innovative department, offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the following fields:
- Learning technologies
- Mathematics education
- Natural, Physical and Life Sciences education
- Technology education
The department invites applications for the academic post of Professor/Associate Professor in one of the above fields, starting as soon as possible. We seek an individual with excellent academic credentials in teaching and research in the above fields, coupled with strong expertise in the use of learning technologies.
- Involvement in teaching in the MEd ICT Education online programme
- Involvement in teaching (contact, blended and online) at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Play a leading role in online teaching innovation
- Supervise student research at Master’s and Doctoral level
- Lead national and international research projects
- Procure funding for research
- Involvement in core activities of the department such as academic administration, research, short-course development, marketing, and community projects.
Minimum Requirements for Professor and Associate Professor:
- Applicable PhD/DEd/DPhil degree
- Teaching experience at the tertiary level
- Experience in blended/online teaching
Minimum Requirements for Associate Professor:
- Sustained accredited research output (in local and international journals and books/ book chapters)
- Experience in research project management
- Experience in postgraduate supervision
Minimum Requirements for Professor:
- Prolific accredited research output (in local and international journals and books/ book chapters)
- Experience in doctoral supervision
- Extensive experience in research project management and procurement of research funding
- NRF rating or output commensurable with an NRF rating
- A good record in procuring of research funding
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to collaborate with colleagues
- An outstanding classroom practitioner with the ability to use a range of technology-enhanced tools
- Well-developed scholarship of teaching and learning
- Adept at teaching and development of materials for online education
- Enjoying international recognition as a researcher
- Collaboration with leading scholars in STEM education
COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: As soon as possible
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Umesh Ramnarain – firstname.lastname@example.org OR 011-5594384
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT http://jobs.uj.ac.za
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.