University of Pittsburgh
School of Education
Department of Administrative and Policy Studies
Advanced Assistant/Associate Professor (Tenure-Stream) Position
Higher Education Management
Position: Advanced Assistant/Associate Professor in the tenure-stream
Appointment: Eight-month, full-time, tenure-track/tenured appointment; starting August 2018
Description: The Department of Administrative and Policy Studies in the School of Education
at The University of Pittsburgh is seeking a tenure-track/tenured advanced assistant/associate professor for the Higher Education Management (HEM) program. We seek a candidate in higher education in the research areas of organizations, administration, policy analysis, economics and finance, or leadership. The successful candidate will have a commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education; teach and advise students at both the master’s and doctoral levels; supervise doctoral dissertations; provide service to the Department, School, and University, as well as participate in program/course development.
The University of Pittsburgh is a large public research university with approximately 24,000 undergraduate students and 5,500 graduate students The Department of Administrative and Policy Studies (ADMPS) is focused on advancing professional knowledge, as well as improving research and practices for educational administrators and policymakers. The department has three programs, higher education management, educational leadership, and social and comparative analysis in education. HEM offers three degrees, including the Master of Education (M.Ed.), the Educational Doctorate (Ed.D.) and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) with an emphasis on higher education, student affairs, leadership, and administration.
1. Earned doctorate in higher education or a closely related field;
2. Established record of publication in peer reviewed journals appropriate to appointment at the advanced assistant or associate professor level;
3. Demonstrated excellence in university-level teaching in higher education;
4. Demonstrated potential for securing external funding as a principal investigator (advanced assistant level), demonstrated success in securing of external funds as a principal investigator or co-pi (associate level);
5. Demonstrated excellence in the advisement and mentoring of doctoral students;
6. Established scholarly credentials sufficient for immediate appointment to the Graduate Faculty at the University of Pittsburgh. .
1. Experience or potential for excellence in university-level teaching using technology, including in online and/or hybrid courses;
2. Experience with program development at the Ed.D. and Ph.D. level
1. Conduct independent and collaborative research in higher education;
2. Publish in peer-reviewed journals;
3. Pursue external grant funding, independently and collaboratively;
4. Teach, advise, and mentor master’s students pursuing careers in student affairs and higher education;
5. Teach, advise, and mentor scholarly practitioners in the EdD program and emerging scholars in the PhD program;
6. Contribute to the service mission of the University, School, and Department;
7. Partner with regional, national and international institutions of higher education, and associate with local, state and national higher education leaders and their professional organizations.
Salary and Rank: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at a rank of Advanced Assistant or Associate Professor in the tenure stream.
Application Process: Review of applications will begin December 1, 2018 and will continue until position is filled.
To apply for this position please upload your letter of application, curriculum vitae, research statement, three representative writing samples, the names and contact information for three academic references, and an unofficial transcript at http://www.education.pitt.edu/facultysearch/. If you are unable to upload your documents, please mail materials to: Higher Education Management Search, Office of the Dean, School of Education University of Pittsburgh, 5605 WWPH, Pittsburgh, PA 15260. For questions about the submission process or the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or the search committee chair, Dr. Najeeb Shafiq (email@example.com).