April 23rd, 2019
Next review date:
Sunday, Mar 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
LECTURER - PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS - GRADUATE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) at the University of California, Berkeley is generating an applicant pool of qualified temporary part-time non-tenure track Lecturers to teach graduate courses in its professional preparation programs for 2019-2020. Screening of applicants begins immediately and continues as needed. Applicants will be selected from this pool to be appointed in the fall semester, spring semester, and some applicants may have an opportunity to teach in our Summer Sessions. The number of positions varies from semester to semester and may be renewed based on need and performance.
Teaching Responsibilities: We are seeking outstanding lecturers who can teach/co-teach courses in Berkeley Educators for Equity & Excellence (BE3), the GSE's teacher education program. BE3 consists of 3 pathways:
- Elementary/Multiple Subjects
- Secondary English
- Secondary Mathematics & Science
Anticipated positions for the 2019-2020 academic year include lecturers who will teach courses focused on:
- Secondary Science Methods
- Secondary English Methods
- Supporting English Language Learners in (a) Elementary/multiple subjects classrooms, (b) Secondary English classrooms, and (c) Secondary Mathematics and Science classrooms.
Refer to https://gse.berkeley.edu/professional-programs/teacher-preparation/be3
for program details.
General Duties: In addition to teaching responsibilities, duties include holding office hours, assigning grades, advising students, preparing course materials, and collaborating with BE3 leadership, instructors, and supervisors.
Basic Qualifications (at time of application): Master's degree or equivalent international degree.
Additional Qualifications (by start date): The successful candidate will have a minimum of five years teaching experience.
Preferred Qualifications: The successful candidate will have a minimum of five years teaching experience in the subject matter field. The Graduate School of Education is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching. Qualified women and members of underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary: These are academic year appointments and subject to the normal processes of academic review. Salary is commensurate with experience but typically begins at $57,509 and prorated in accordance to instructional workload calculation. UC Berkeley has an excellent benefits package as well as a number of policies and programs to support employees as they balance work and family.
How to Apply:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
The applicant pool will close on April 23, 2020. Candidates who have yet to receive an offer and who are interested in remaining in the pool after that time will need to submit a new application. Applications will be accepted and reviewed as the need occurs.
Appointments for spring semester are usually reviewed in October, summer semester appointments are reviewed in April, and fall semester are usually reviewed in late spring.
Job location Berkeley, CA
Learn More More information about this recruitment: https://gse.berkeley.edu/professional-programs/teacher-preparation/be3
Requirements Document requirements
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Educational and Teaching Philosophy - Refer specifically to the BE3 Identity statement (https://gse.berkeley.edu/be3-identity)
- Course(s) interested in teaching
- Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
- 3 required (contact information only)