Associate or Full Professor of Practice (Non-Tenure-Stream) with a focus on
Higher Education Administration/Leadership
University of Pittsburgh
School of Education
Position: Associate or Full Professor of Practice (non-tenure-stream)
Appointment: Twelve-month, full-time, non-tenure-stream appointment; starting July 2020
Description: The School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh seeks a full-time, non-tenure- stream associate or full professor of practice for the Higher Education Management (HEM) program to contribute to the development and growth of our CPED (Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate) influenced School-wide EdD program and our MEd program in higher education and student affairs. The School-wide EdD program engages students working across the P-20 spectrum through a hybrid format, including both in-person and online instruction. Within the HEM program, the EdD is designed to develop reflective practitioner leaders who will assume middle to advanced administrative and executive posts at higher education institutions, including but not limited to community colleges, regional comprehensive, liberal arts, and research institutions. The HEM MEd is a cohort-based, in-person program designed for students beginning their careers in higher education and student affairs.
We seek a candidate with significant administrative leadership experience in higher education to join our vibrant community of researchers and practitioners. The individual will teach and advise EdD and MEd students, develop innovative program curricula, deliver blended and/or online courses, assist with student recruitment and retention, and engage in practitioner-focused scholarship in pursuit of equitable, just, and sustainable educational change. The individual will also foster collegial relationships with both program and School of Education faculty, and be responsible for service to the department, the School of Education, and larger university. It is also expected that this individual will have ongoing engagement in higher education professional associations.
The University of Pittsburgh is a large public research university with approximately 19,000 undergraduate students and 9,000 graduate students. U.S. News & World Report has ranked the University of Pittsburgh School of Education among the top 40 schools of education and the number 1 public graduate school of education in Pennsylvania. HEM offers three degrees: Master of Education (MEd), Doctor of Education (EdD), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
1. Earned doctorate in higher education, student affairs, or a closely related field by June 30, 2020;
2. Significant professional experience in higher education administration (15+ years);
3. Demonstrated teaching experience in higher education;
4. Demonstrated excellence or future promise in advising and mentoring students;
5. Demonstrated commitment to equitable, just, and sustainable practices
1. Professional experience at the executive level in higher education;
2. Administrative experience in higher education that spans at least two institutions;
3. Knowledge of or experience with a CPED-influenced EdD program;
4. Experience with or potential for innovation and excellence in university-level teaching and using technology for online and blended format classes;
5. Ongoing or potential for ongoing practitioner-focused scholarship related to higher education, with a preference for inquiry related to higher education administration and/or leadership.
1. Teach, advise, and mentor EdD students pursuing middle to advanced administrative and executive posts in higher education;
2. Teach, advise, and mentor MEd students in higher education and student affairs;
3. Contribute to the development of the Higher Education Management programs;
4. Recruit EdD students to the higher education program;
5. Contribute to the service mission of the University, School, and Department;
6. Partner with regional, national, and international institutions of higher education;
7. Associate with local, state, and national higher education leaders and professional organizations.
Salary and Rank: Competitive salary will be commensurate with qualifications at a rank of Associate or Full Professor of Practice (non-tenure-stream).
Application Process: Review of applications will begin December 6th and will continue until position is filled – DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 31, 2020. To apply for the position, upload your letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching and advising philosophy statement that addresses professional preparation in higher education for MEd and EdD students, a representation of scholarly practice (journal article, report, presentation, grant proposal, op-ed, blog, etc.), and the names and contact information for three academic references online at https://app.education.pitt.edu/employment/postings. If you are unable to upload your documents, then mail materials to Megan Brennan, Faculty Search, Office of the Dean, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh, 230 S. Bouquet St., 5306 WWPH, Pittsburgh, PA 15260.
For questions about the submission process or the position, email firstname.lastname@example.org or the search committee chair, Dr. Linda DeAngelo, at email@example.com.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity. Women and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled