The University of Missouri-Kansas City is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. UMKC is now searching for the Inaugural Dean for its newly designed School of Education, Social Work, and Psychological Sciences. The school is being launched as part of the UMKC Forward initiative, one designed to recast the institution’s investment strategy and academic landscape. The new school brings together a collective of respected and successful departments to meet the challenges of tomorrow together.
Reporting directly to the Provost, the inaugural Dean will play a critical role in building a strategic vision for programs, outreach, and research in education, social work, and psychological sciences in the context of an urban-serving public research university. The dean will:
- Lead the new school, working with stakeholders to set the tone, establish priorities, and build a vision for success
- Ensure that the departments and programs housed within the unit offer high quality and relevant curriculum, impactful scholarship, and are active collaborators in university-wide goals for student success, research growth, advancement of diversity and inclusion, and active community engagement
- Be committed to serving our underrepresented students and faculty of color
- Engage in fiscal stewardship, resource allocation, and work with the provost, chancellor, and development/alumni relations teams to achieve success in cultivating philanthropic support and alumni engagement
- Collaborate with other academic leaders and shared-service units, particularly in efforts designed at achieving student and faculty success
UMKC’s new School of Education, Social Work, and Psychological Sciences seeks a dynamic, innovative leader who can synthesize the diverse perspectives and strengths of its constituencies and stakeholders with the uniqueness of its vibrant urban setting to help develop a vision and strategy that will support the growth and success of this new unit in a rapidly changing higher education environment.
The University anticipates this appointment will be made in anticipation of a start in Spring of 2023. Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately. For full consideration, applicant material should be provided by October 26, 2022.
Candidates should include a cover letter outlining leadership qualifications as well as a detailed curriculum vitae. Later in the search process contact information for references and additional information may be requested. Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
The full position profile can be found online at https://umurl.us/umkcsesdeanprofile.
Nominations, applications and inquires of interest may be sent in confidence to the University’s executive search leader:
Patrick Arens, Lead HR Consultant, University of Missouri System
The University of Missouri-Kansas City is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence. The University of Missouri is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.